Friday, May 25, 2012

Leftover potato, blue cheese and onion pizza

I remember when we were kids each week one day for dinner my mother would take out what she called her "buffet dabba". Now that yellow coloured dabba had many partitions in it and its where she would store leftovers that were so little that they didn't deserve a dabba of their own. Mom being mom would sell it to us by saying,"see this ilike a buffet we each get five things to eat :) Very creative, mum. Leftoversuddenly didn't look so bad (Though there were times when extra portions of a recipe were made just because they tasted better as leftovers)

The other day I had some leftover boiled potato from a potato mash I had done, some pita bread from a middle eastern dinner we hosted (More about it in the coming week), some blue cheese from yet another batch of my oh-so-favorite blue cheese savoury muffins I had made for a friend and plus at 42 degrees at the end of working day I didn't want to spend more than 5 minutes in the kitchen and still wanted to put something decent on the table.

That's when I remembered a man who I love, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. And his book, River Cottage Veg Everyday. I often get emails or comments that I don't write about vegetarian food on the blog. And this book here has beautiful, very doable and quick vegetarian recipes. Must have, really.

The one that I am posting here is not even a recipe actually. Because I just put three things together and we had a lovely dinner. DH who was really nervous about eating a potato pizza gave the sublime combination a thumbs up and Sara polished off all the blue cheese and potato on hers (she very generously passed on all the onions to me and then proceeded to eat the bread). We had some fresh green salad and super big glasses of orange tang with a splash of grenadine.

I used leftover pita bread here but I love his recipe for the magic dough which I've made often and will share with you soon.

Leftover potato,blue cheese and onion pizza
Serves a hungry family of two adults and a toddler

Ingredients
pita breads if you have leftoveror make your pizza base or buy a pizza base if you are feeling lazy like me. I used three.

For the topping
3 tablespoon olive oil, plus a little extra to trickle
2 onions quartered and sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped rosemary ( I used dried and half the quantity)
200 gms cold, cooked potatoes cut into thin slices
75 gms blue cheese ( The recipe asked for 150 gms but i didn't have that; actually 75 gms worked just fine)
salt and freshly grounded black pepper

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Heat the oil in frying pan over medium heat and add the onions. Once sizzling, lower the heat and cook gently, stirring from time to time,until they are soft and golden,about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the garlic,rosemary and salt and pepper.
2. Spread a third of the onion mixture evenly over the pita bread, then a third of the potato slices, then a third of the cheese. 
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Repeat for the other two pita breads.
5. Trickle with a little more oil and bake for 8-10 minutes until the base is crisp and the top bubbling.

Enjoy. And the next time try a beetroot and cheddar one :) 

Recipe : Adapted from the book River Cottage Veg Everyday
Images: Personal Album
While you enjoy reading this post with visuals.Please do not use them without asking. 
They belong to Orange Kitchens unless otherwise stated.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...